The SHERPA activity has the following two overal objectives:
- To support Eastern and Central countries through the set up of regional working groups and workshops to understand the pre-operational actions to be undertaken by their relevant stakeholders (ANSPs, regulators and airlines) in support to EGNOS adoption; and
- Map the implementation of EGNOS into the States PBN strategy.
This ‘collaborative approach’ will ease the implementation of APV procedures inside European Eastern region Stakeholders, by individually identifying current barriers to do it.
By leading this proposal, the European Satellite Services Provider (ESSP) is aiming to contribute to such initiative, by taking advantage of the activity to work with the regional Stakeholders on consolidating the EGNOS Service Provision requirements and regulations to be settled with States and National Regulatory Authorities. For the well understanding on the activities to put in place for the implementation of EGNOS operations in the aviation sector, the ESSP will count with the tailored technical support from Pildo Labs, with wide expertise on the operational implementation on EGNOS enhanced operations, in particular regionally through the lead of Mielec activity in Poland.
The understanding of those EGNOS service requirements is essential for the States involved in the project, in order to plan the implementation of EGNOS into the PBN concept and work towards ICAO’s PBN implementation goals.
SHERPA activities are in line with the objectives of the FP7 topic call (2007 to 2013):
- The activity intends to accelerate EGNOS adoption inside the air transport market;
- At the same time, it prepares the market for Galileo Safety of Life (SoL) services;
- Continues the effort for the introduction of EGNOS in both commercial and general aviation; and
- Aims at developing an operational concept for the use of GNSS for both commercial and general aviation;